The remaining Pakistan Super League matches here will not be affected by the terrorist attack on the Karachi police chief’s office on Friday night, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Najam Sethi said.
Terror attack near Quetta stadium disrupts match; Babar Azam and Shahid Afridi were taken to safety
Pakistani cricket stars, including captain Babar Azam and former captain Shahid Afridi, were among those taken to safety in the dressing room during a friendly match at Nawab Akbar Bugti Stadium. According to the PTI, the match was interrupted for some time after an explosion in the area of the police lines in Quetta, which injured five.
A senior police officer said rescue work had been completed at the scene and the injured had been taken to the hospital. The illegal Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on Sunday. He claimed that security agents were the target of the explosion.
The Pakistan Cricket Board organized the exhibition match between Pakistan Super League (PSL) teams Quetta Gladiators and Peshawar Zalmi after pressure from Baloch supporters to give Quetta PSL venue status as well. Babar Azam leads Zalmi while the Gladiators are led by former Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed.
“As soon as the explosion took place, the match was stopped as a precaution and the players went to the dressing room for a while. Later, after the green light, the match was resumed,” said the police officer, according to PTI. The PCB had already called for Bugti Stadium, in Quetta, to be included as one of the PSL’s headquarters. Therefore, it would be the first time the stadium would host a top-level cricket match since 1996 when it hosted an ODI match between Pakistan and Zimbabwe. The game remains the only international cricket match to be played at the stadium.
The field was packed for the game. Sports activities in Quetta, the capital of the turbulent province of Balochistan, have been at a standstill for several years due to the fragile security situation and the constant threat of terrorist attacks. It is unclear what the nature of the explosion was. The TTP has stepped up the terrorist attacks in recent days. Last week, 80 people were killed and dozens injured in a suicide bombing on police lines in Peshawar.
PSL 2023 will not be affected by the terrorist attack in Karachi: Najam Sethi
The head of the Pakistan Cricket Council, Najam Sethi, confirmed that the current Pakistan Super League will continue as scheduled despite the horrific terrorist attack by Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan on Friday night. The Pakistani Taliban attacked the office of the police chief in Karachi on the night of Friday February.
Four people, including two police officers, were reported dead by the PTI after terrorists broke into the four-story office building and began firing. The scuffle between security personnel and the terrorists lasted about four hours before the gunmen were neutralized.
Meanwhile, the new head of the PCB, Najam Sethi, said PSL matches are going ahead as scheduled and all players are being taken care of. Another report assured that security authorities and the government had also permitted for PSL matches to take place in Karachi.
The Quetta Gladiators were training at the National Stadium at the time of the attack and were late returning to their hotel. But the PCB said it remains confident in the security it has provided the teams.
“We have worked closely with all stakeholders, including local and foreign security experts, who have reassured and reassured us that the event can go ahead as there has been no threat to cricket. The PCB remains committed to providing full security to all participants and, as always, will continue to work closely with security experts and law enforcement agencies,” added Sethi.
“The incident that happened yesterday has nothing to do with the PSL,” Sethi said. There are two PSL games scheduled at the National Stadium on Saturday and Sunday and security has reportedly been tightened at the team’s hotel and match venue.
PSL went ahead as planned despite Karachi’s attack
In a statement on the PSL website, Sethi said he had worked closely with all stakeholders, including local and foreign security experts, who had given assurances and comfort that the event could go ahead as there was no threat to cricket.
“The PCB takes the safety of everyone involved in HBL PSL 8 very seriously. To ensure that no stone is left unturned, presidential-grade security is provided for teams and officials. These unprecedented arrangements are similar to those for international matches that have been highly praised and appreciated by visiting teams and officials alike,” he said.
“The PCB remains committed to providing full safety and security to all participants and, as always, will continue to work closely with security experts and law enforcement to ensure players and staff are comfortable and well cared for so they can enjoy their stay. in Pakistan and continue to entertain fans and followers with his cricket skills and talents.”
Earlier on Friday, terrorists raided the Karachi police station, resulting in the martyrdom of four security guards. In addition, three terrorists were also killed in the action.
In addition, the police also identified the three terrorists who attacked the police headquarters. Police said Zala Nur, a resident of North Waziristan, detonated the explosive vest strapped to his body after clashing with security forces.
Similarly, Kifayatullah, a resident of Lakki Marwat and Majeed, North Waziristan, was killed in a clash with security forces.