South Africa are optimistic about hosting T20I home series in late August. But is trying to find new dates for their proposed tour to the West Indies.
Cricket South Africa (CSA) has already had to postpone a limited-overs series in Sri Lanka. But has earmarked the visit by India to raise much-needed revenue.
CSA Director of cricket Graeme Smith says the body is in constant contact with the BCCI
“We have been talking to them and the commitment is there to get the three T20s done;” Smith said at a news conference on Thursday.
“There is an element of guesswork, no-one knows what things will be like at the end of August.
“But we believe we are a socially-distanced sport and that we can play behind closed doors.”
The Proteas were due to tour the West Indies in late July for two test matches and five Twenty20 internationals. Smith confirmed they are looking at all options for those matches; including playing at neutral venues or in South Africa.
“We are exploring all options. Sport has to think like a business now and not just an events company. We need to get together and work out how to get cricket up and running,” he said.
“We are trying to understand things like quarantine regulations. There are so many things up in the air, but the key is to be ready (for when play returns).”
About CSA South Africa
- To ensure that cricket is supported by the majority of South Africans. Also available to all who want to play it.
- To pursue excellence at all levels of the game.
As the governing body of cricket in South Africa, Cricket South Africa will be led by:
- Promoting and protecting the game and its unique spirit in the context of a democratic South Africa.
- Basing our activities on fairness, which includes inclusivity and non-discrimination.
- Accepting South Africa’s diversity as a strength.
- Delivering outstanding, memorable events.
- Providing excellent service to Affiliates, Associates, and Stakeholders.
- Optimising commercials rights and properties on behalf of its Affiliates and Associates.
- Implementing good governance based on King 3, and matching diligence, honesty and transparency to all our activities.